Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Vaiden, Mississippi

The Pictures


Where is Vaiden, Mississippi?



Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Ron Collins' Guestbook

Blast From The Past

A Visit Back To Childhood. . .

. . .and Various Places In Between


This Page is Dedicated to my Childhood Friend, Jack Fullilove (12/27/1955 - 03/20/1996), with the assurance that, although there is a void here on Earth, there is one more shining star in Heaven.


Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: jack_thumbnail

Jack Fullilove

(Click on the Photo Above)


“Sonny” & Hazel Fullilove

“Sonny” and friend Tom Applewhite – 1947

J.G. (“Mr. Jimmy”) Fullilove and his 3 Kitchens Grandsons – Easter 1970

Photo 1     Photo 2     Photo 3     Photo 4     Photo 5

Photo 6     Photo 7     Photo 8     Photo 9     Photo 10

Photo 11     Photo 12     Photo 13

Ron and Jack Fullilove -- Friends Forever

Jack – Birth Announcement

Mary Eleanor Wright Fullilove with her grandson Jack (age 2 months)

Jack Fullilove Obituary

Hazel Alexander Fullilove Wedding Announcement

Hazel Fullilove Obituary 1

Hazel Fullilove Obituary 2

“Sonny” Fullilove circa 1925

“Sonny” Fullilove Obituary 1

“Sonny” Fullilove Obituary 2

“Sonny” Fullilove Obituary 3

“Sonny” Fullilove Obituary 4

James Greer “Mr. Jimmy” Fullilove Obituary 1

James Greer “Mr. Jimmy” Fullilove Obituary 2

James Greer and Mary Eleanor Wright Fullilove’s 50th (Golden) Wedding Anniversary

Mary Eleanor Wright Fullilove Obituary 1

Mary Eleanor Wright Fullilove Obituary 2

“Sonny” Fullilove Visitation

“Mr. Jimmy” Fullilove Visitation

The “Livin’ End” 1

The “Livin’ End” 2


[WEBMASTER’S NOTE:  Most of the photos of Jack, Sonny, Hazel, “Mr. Jimmy,” and Eleanor Fullilove found on this page were provided Courtesy of Jack’s Aunt, Mrs. Edith Kitchens of Crystal Springs, MS.  She, as with all of the Fullilove family are very dear to me, and I offer my heartfelt thanks for all the help she and the family have given me.]



(Vaiden Area Rapid Transportation Association)

To most of us kids that grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, it was all about locomotion.  Getting from point A to point B in the least amount of time possible was a necessity.  After all, the quicker we got there, the more time we had to play.  We learned to eat quickly, so as not to waste any time getting back to what we did best – having fun.  Having a rapid means of transportation was a must.  This involved a simple formula we figured out at an early age:  EQ = RP -- Eat Quick, Resume Play.  The quicker we got home to eat, and the quicker we got back to play was was, besides a tad of sleep, the ultimate goal of a 5000-calorie-burning-a-day kid with wheels.  After all, there were treehouses to build, forts to attack, tents to be erected, swimming to be done, money to be made picking up and selling Coke bottles, and visits to our local candy store.  Then, it was time for dinner.

Now, let me explain the term DINNER to any visitors to this page that are not from the South.  In Mississippi, we didn’t have BRUNCH or LUNCH or SNACKS.  We had BREAKFAST, DINNER, SUPPER, and SOMN’DEAT (something to eat).  Breakfast was usually around 6:00 a.m.  It could be as early as 5:00 a.m., or as late as 7:00 a.m., but we usually had it earlier rather than later.  Later meant an hour wasted that we could be preparing for war, or plotting out the daily entertainment.  Regardless, we didn’t skip it.  DINNER was anywhere between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., but was usually at 12:00 noon.  SUPPER was at 6:00 p.m.  Period.  You miss it, and you eat leftovers.  SOMN’DEAT was any time during the day that the One-A-Day Vitamins wore off.  The typical schedule usually was, as follows:

Breakfast:  6:00 a.m. – 6:15 a.m.

Play:  6:15 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.

Somn’deat:  9:00 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.

Play:  9:15 a.m. – 12:00 noon

Dinner:  12:00 noon – 12:15 p.m.

Play:  12:15 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Somn’deat:  3:00 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.

Play:  3:15 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Supper:  6:00 p.m. – 6:15 p.m.

Play:  6:15 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.

Sleep:  10:00 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.



Time For Caloric Intake:  1.5 hours / day

Time to dream up new crap to do tomorrow (Sleep): 8.0 hours / day

Time for caloric output ( PLAY ! ! ! ):  14.5 hours / day (and more, if we “accidentally” didn’t hear mom calling us)


I must remind you that time to play had a few exceptions, such as Sunday School and Church, and visiting relatives.  But, I digress.  The purpose of this scholarly thesis is to inform you of the various means of transportation we used to commute to and from play.  Whether it was tricycles, bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, cars or on foot, we always got to the fun on time.

You are listening to:

Little Honda
(Jan & Dean version)

HERE for the lyrics to Little Honda


The Bike that Started it All -- My Mighty Honda Cub 50

More Honda Cub 50 Photos (not mine)  1   2

Honda 70 Scrambler   1   2   3   4

Honda CL-450 Scrambler   1   2

Easy Rider -- The Honda 450 Chopper (my CL-450 Scrambler conversion)

Honda 450 Bill of Sale

Honda Express

Kawasaki H2 750 Triple – Three Chainsaws on Steroids

Me and My 1975 Kawasaki H2 Mach IV 750 – October 1978

Kawasaki 750 Title

Kawasaki Triples (.pdf format)

Triple Lineup







Cruisin' In Style -- Honda V65 Magna (present bike)

Honda Magnas (V30, V45, V65) -- .pdf format

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: gkdecal

How Low Can You Go? -- The Go-Cart (Ron (driving) & Cousin Bruce)

Road Rage -- The Go-Cart -- Part 2 (Bruce (driving) and Me)

Go-Kart Cameo: 1969 Vaiden Bulldogs Annual

Go-Kart Engine (2 ½ Horsepower) – Photo 1     Photo 2

Go-Kart Ad

Go-Kart as listed in the 1965 Sears Spring/Summer Catalog – Page 995 (the color of mine was red)

The Mini-Bike (representative photo)

Like an idiot, I traded my go-kart to Bill Welch, for his mini-bike.  I took the mini-bike home, let it cool off, and gave it a good cleaning.  After checking the oil, I hopped on it and rode it about 100 yards, and the engine blew up.  I didn’t ask for my go-kart back (another stupid mistake), because we shook hands when we made the trade.  I never got it fixed, and later sold it for $40.00 to a co-worker of my mom’s, when she was working at Big Star Supermarket in Winona, MS.


The Skate Board

Keep in mind, in the sixties, there was no Tony Hawk or Bob Burnquist to learn skateboarding techniques from.  We had to ad-lib.  There were no such things as “Nose Grinds,” “Ollies,” “Manuals,” “Kick Flips,”  or places with “Half Pipes,” etc., or at least that we’d heard of, and especially in Vaiden, Mississippi.  My skateboard was a Hang-Ten model, much like you’ll see in the following photos.  It eventually broke, and Phillip Wade and I took the trucks off and mounted them to a board about six feet long, and rode it sitting down.


PHOTO 1     PHOTO 2     PHOTO 3

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Reb Bar

The Bands

Music has always been a large part of my life.  Although my Mom would never admit it, she was pretty good on guitar.  The way my Dad could play a fiddle, would make Charlie Daniels and the Devil want to take lessons. I started in the Vaiden Band in the 4th Grade.  My mom wanted me to play drums, but I just had to play the Cornet.  I must have been pretty good at it, because I was started out in 2nd Chair.  By the 6th Grade, I had moved up to First Chair and was marching with the High School Band. Although small, the Vaiden Band scored well at sight-reading contests in Louisville, MS several years. We got to march in competition in the Mississippi Memorial Stadium in Jackson, MS on April 1, 1966.  This is a photo of Sheila Barnette (R) and me (L) at the Mississippi Memorial Stadium that day. Here is a Close-Up.

Text, letter

Description automatically generated


I was asked to play an alternate version of “Charge” at all of the football games and, because the highest note was either a double-high or triple-high C, hitting that note on a Cornet (not as high-pitched as a trumpet), was not easy and got old really fast. I would have been a good kisser after those games – had I been old enough – due to the fact that my lips were swollen. In 1968, I was deciding that my mom might have been right about the drums.  Our wonderful Band Director, Mr. Bob Esterline, had moved away at the end of the 1967 school year, and we had a different director, Mr. W.B. Oswalt.  Mr. Oswalt wasn’t a bad guy, but, for some reason, I thought he was because he refused to let me change over to drums.

Around the time that Dr. Martin Luther King was killed (04/04/1968) by a cowardly assassin, I had had enough and got up and walked out of the band hall.  Several people followed me that day and, the next day, the Vaiden High School Band was no more.  Until the last day that the school remained open, there wasn’t a fully-sanctioned Vaiden Band again. The day I walked out of the Band Hall, I walked down the hill behind the school and found Kenny Loftin standing by the Lunchroom. I told him that I’d heard that he was taking guitar lessons and asked him if he wanted to join my band.  He said that he had been taking guitar lessons from Van Simpson. I believe that he mentioned that Jack Fullilove was taking guitar lessons, as well (although not from Van).  Jack was a close friend so, that day in Spring of 1968, I formed The Livin’ End with Kenny, Jack and Van.  Mike Simpson, Van’s cousin, soon joined us on keyboards and the quartet was now a quintet.  We began practicing mostly in my kitchen. Sometimes, we practiced in Kenny’s house, but soon decided that the best place with the most room was in Jack’s garage.  Jack lived on Highway 51, about ½ mile South of downtown Vaiden and we practiced every weekend, rain or shine, burning hot or freezing cold.  Jack’s mom, Hazel, put sheets over the garage entrance (there were no garage doors) and rented two huge parabolic propane heaters to keep us warm in the wintertime.  When it was warm enough outside, people would stop to visit with Hazel and Sonny (Jack’s Dad) and listen to us play.  Often, you could see cars pulled over on the highway just sitting there listening.  The Livin’ End was the first band ever in the history of Vaiden.  It’s also first in my heart.


My First Drum Kit (in Blue Sparkle from the 1967 Sears Fall/Winter Catalog – Page 1386) – Mine is the $149.95 set in the upper right of the page. I added the drummer’s throne in the lower right of the page.

In March 1969, The Livin’ End won first place at the Carrollton, MS Jaycee’s First Annual Talent Show and received a trophy. It started there, and never let up.

When I was in the 10th or 11th Grade, the Livin’ End was asked to provide the entertainment for the Friday Morning Assembly one week. The band at that time, if I remember correctly, was made up of myself, Kenny Loftin, Jack Fullilove and Van Simpson. Our last song was King Floyd’s Groove Me. The students were comprised of about 80% Black and 20% White.  We played Groove Me as the last song of the assembly and, about halfway through, the bell rang to dismiss the assembly.  Our Principal, Rev. Curtis Armstrong, made up stop playing so everyone could exit the auditorium.  After we stopped playing, we let about 1/3 to 1/2 of the students exit the auditorium and cranked up on Groove Me again.  All of the students came back into the Auditorium and were grooving with us.  Mr. Armstrong made the guitar guys unplug their amps so everyone would finally leave.  Since I couldn’t unplug my drums, I just sat there and laughed at the situation.  I still love that song. [Footnote] The students requested that should come back and play again, so, not too long after that, we played from after lunch until almost 3:00 one afternoon in the Band Hall to a packed crowd of students.  Groove Me was requested several times.

During my Senior year (1971-1972), I played drums in Coldfire with Kenny Loftin on guitar and James Allen Gant on bass. We threw dances at the Vaiden Community Center at least every other weekend, and always had a good crowd.

So far, no existing recordings have been found of the Livin’ End or Coldfire, although someone may have made the recordings.  Below, you will find links to Magnolia Blue, The Earl Bishop Band and the Hi-Lites. I had a chance to drum in each of those.  Click on the band name, and it will take you to the appropriate page where you can listen to the music.  Spend some time and sit back and relax.  It’s good to have you visit.





Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Reb Bar


Philip Wade and His Rocket Bike

Philip Wade and Ron -- Rebels Without a Clue

Going Solo -- Slingerland Red Stain Flame Pearl Drum Kit & Ron

Grand Funk Railroad in Jackson -- Rock 'N Roll Soul

My Old House by the Vaiden Cemetery (Photo 1 -- Photo 2), where I spent the first 6 years of my life.


Rocket-Powered Go Karts (Not Mine)


Aunt Louise (“Aunt E”) Caddess with her Parakeets – 1959/1960


Mom and Me -- 1955


It Won’t Come Back – Me and My Wham-O “Unbreakable” Boomerang


Christmas 1960 – Me and My Radio Flyer Scooter


[Ed. Note: Notice the chalk board in the background with ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ across the top.  HERE I AM on June 18, 2011 with that same chalk board.]



Excellent Band Rating on the CLARINET ? (I played the CORNET)


March 1960 – Age 5 – Me and my Jungle Gym Swing Set

(As of 06/14/2003 I still have this swing set (except for the slide and one of the swings – see below))


Swing Set – June 14, 2003PHOTO 1     PHOTO 2


Ron’s Portrait in Pencil – Circa 1960-1961


Ron’s Portrait in Watercolor – Circa 1960-1963


Ron and Chris Palmertree – Circa 1959-1960


KQR0575 CB Radio QSL Card


My First CB Radio  (the Base Station from the 1966 Sears Christmas Book (“Wish Book”) – Page 642


My Nissan 300ZX Turbo – Colorado, August 1987



The Pogo Stick


When I visit Vaiden, I sometimes run across someone that, during our conversation, mentions about their memories of me and my pogo stick.  I got my pogo stick at Christmas of 1964 or 1965.  It sat around for over a year before I tried to ride it with earnest.  I learned by standing on the front bumper of our 1965 Ford LTD and jumping onto the pogo stick.  After many unsuccessful tries, I became obsessed with learning to ride it.  I figured that, if I could stay on it for a few seconds more on each attempt, that I would soon master it.  Ten seconds soon turned into 20, 30, 60 and so on.  Our house was approximately 150-175 yards west of the Vaiden School.  I was soon able to hop onto the pogo stick on the top of our carport steps and hop around our driveway, onto and down the sidewalk, across the front of the schoolyard, up the front steps of the school and into the front door, without ever putting a foot down once.  Soon, I was hopping up and down the football bleachers, and once hopped onto the stick at 12:00 noon and bounced continuously until 1:00 p.m., when the bell rang, and I had never touched the ground once with my feet.  My pogo stick became very popular with my schoolmates, and they still talk about it now.  I got my boys one several years back, and they are learning to ride it.  Before you ask, as of 2007, I can still ride a pogo stick.  As an adult with more weight than a 5th or 6th grader, it takes a lot of energy, and I can’t ride it as long, but I can still jump in the air and climb steps with it.  Call me crazy, but you won’t be telling me something I don’t already know.


Following are three photos concerning pogo sticks.  In the first photo, my cousin Bruce Collins is driving my go-kart, and I’m standing behind it.  You can see the handles of my famous pogo stick over my shoulder.  To my knowledge, this is the only photo that I have with my pogo stick in it.  The second photo was found on the internet and is a pogo stick exactly like the one I had.  The third photo is a schematic of the pogo stick.


PHOTO 1     PHOTO 2     PHOTO 3



The Motorcycles of Jack Fullilove


NOTE:  Jack had motorcycles like the ones on the following photos.  The ones in the photos, however, are not his, but were gleaned from the internet.


Honda Sport 50 (1), (2)     Honda 125 Scrambler (1), (2)


Honda 350 Scrambler (1), (2)     Honda CB 450 (1)


Honda 750 Four (1)


Cyclone Racer Photo 1 -- Long Beach California – Summer 1964


The picture above was taken from the Blackstone Hotel in Long Beach (6th or 8th floor, I believe), while I was in California in 1964, the summer after my Dad’s death.  I was 9 at the time, and didn’t get to ride it (not that I would have at the age of 9 and by myself).  The Cyclone Racer was designed by Frederick Church (1878-1936) built by Harry Guy Traver (11/25/1877-09/27/1961). It was built to replace the Jack Rabbit Racer. The Jack Rabbit Racer only lasted 15 years (May 1915 – 1930). The Cyclone opened to the public on Memorial Day (May 30), 1930 at “The Pike” on the Long Beach coast.  The Pike consisted of a theme park, and a pier, as well as area attractions.  It took over 5 months to build the Cyclone and over 1,000,000 board feet of lumber, over 1,000,000 bolts, and 50 kegs of nails. More on the Cyclone can be found HERE.


The Cyclone was a dual-track racer (hence the name), in which two cars would race side-by-side throughout the course. It had a capacity of 2,400 riders per hour and its maximum speeds were an unheard-of (in the 1930s) 50 mph.  The track was 3750 feet long, and the entire structure took $140,000 (in 1930 dollars) to build.  The highest point was 85 feet, and the ride took 1 ¾ minutes to complete.  It could develop a maximum G Force of 3.64 and had a maximum vertical angle of 49.5⁰.  It had no inversions.


In the 1936 movie Strike Me Pink, Eddie Cantor was chased all over the pier and the coaster, as well.  In the 1945 movie Abbot and Costello in Hollywood, Costello was chased over the coaster, and in the 1943 movie The Dancing Masters, comedians Laurel and Hardy “rode” a double-decker bus onto the coaster.  In the 1963 comedy It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, the final car chase scene shows the Pike and the Cyclone in the background.  The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953) featured the Cyclone Racer in the climax, when the stop-motion beast destroys a model of the coaster in split-screen with live action intercut with live action scenes from the coaster parking lot, entrance ramp and loading platform. However, in THIS CLIP of that movie, the coaster sign bears the name of the defunct “Jack Rabbit Racer,” which is thought to have been done to avoid any legal issues. As previously mentioned, the “Jack Rabbit Racer” had been torn down in 1930, a full 23 years before The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms was made. Alternatively, that scene was supposed to portray the monster’s destruction of Coney Island, so it could have actually been the 1927 Cyclone Racer at Coney Island that was used with the “Jack Rabbit Racer” sign for the movie.


In 1947, as the lease was about to expire and demolition was soon to be scheduled, the lease was extended another 20 years.  The park and the pier didn’t survive, though, and were demolished in early 1949…but the Cyclone Racer remained.  On May 1, 1968, the lease on the Cyclone expired again, but a special permit allowed it to remain in operation until Labor Day.  At 11:00 p.m. on September 15, 1968, the last of 25,000,000 riders disembarked, never to see the Cyclone again.  Demolition of the Cyclone Racer began the next day. Will a New Cyclone at Long Beach be built?  CLICK HERE to find out. At its close, it had been open 38 years, 3 months and 16 days.


History of the Cyclone Racer (Part 1)History of the Cyclone Racer (Part 2)

NOTE: The above video history may be of the sister coaster – also named the Cyclone Racer – that was a main attraction at Coney Island, N.Y. The Coney Island Cyclone opened on 06/26/1927, and was still in operation in 2015.


Other video clips about the Cyclone can be found HERE and HERE.


I have “culled” more pictures of the Pike and the Cyclone Racer from the internet.  Click on the links below to see them.



The Pike and the Cyclone Racer


Photo 1     Photo 2


Photo 3      Photo 4     Photo 5


Photo 6     Photo 7     Photo 8


Photo 9     Photo 10      Photo 11


Photo 12     Photo 13     Photo 14


Photo 15   Photo 16   Photo 17


Photo 18   Photo 19   Photo 20


Photo 21   Photo 22



Many memories of the Pike and the Cyclone were made. (no spaces between the words) has a video called We Met At The Pike that tells the true story of Rose Mary and Carrol H. Dial, who met at the Pike and rode the Cyclone in 1950. They were married for 58 years.




Blackstone Hotel


The City of Long Beach Municipal Code 16.52.410, designated the Blackstone Hotel as an historical landmark.  Excerpts from the Code are as follows:


Pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 2.63 and with the following recommendations of the planning commission, the city council designates the following building as an historical landmark in the city: The Blackstone Hotel.


The Blackstone Hotel, located at 330 West Ocean Boulevard, Long Beach, California, is a six-story hotel featuring a simple, Renaissance Revival influenced design.  It is constructed of reinforced concrete, and features a U-shaped facade.  Stringcourses set off the bottom and top stories.  Single and paired double-hung sash windows with raised sills define the bays.  A plain entablature culminating in an overhanging corn icecaps the building.  Enhanced by landscaping, the Blackstone appears largely unaltered and in good condition.


The Blackstone is important in that it exemplifies the development of highrise residential structures on Ocean Boulevard in the ‘twenties, defining the city’s first highrise skyline.  A reminder of the economic boom of that period, shaped by the city’s prominence as a beach resort and fueled by the discovery of oil, the demand for new housing gave rise to residential highrise development downtown.  Situated next to the Sovereign, it serves as a strong visual connection to the past and reflects the city’s pattern of development.


The Architect for the Blackstone Hotel was Edward L. Mayberry.  It was built in 1923 by John Wesley Graves (02/17/187407/27/1942), and is still in operation in 2003, reportedly as a highrise senior citizen’s home.  However, I have recently received word that the Blackstone is now being used as an apartment building.



Photo 1     Photo 2


Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Reb Bar


The Car


My 1972 PlymouthCuda


Blaze of Glory


The Deposit


The Title


1972 Plymouth Brochure





The following photos are of a 1972 PlymouthCuda that was NOT mine.  I can’t believe that I only took 2 or 3 pictures of my ‘Cuda while I had it from 06/27/1972 (bought at Chamblee Motors in Greenwood, MS for $3734.80) until 02/08/1976, when I traded it for, of all things, a 1976 Pontiac Astre.  When my ‘Cuda was stock, it was almost exactly like the one in the following photos, except it didn’t have a vinyl roof, and my ‘Cuda’s seats were white.  Also, mine had a white stripe down the side, no air conditioner or power steering or electric anything and didn’t come with a tachometer.  I had ordered mine with the 150 m.p.h. speedometer and tachometer option and WITHOUT the center console, but, when it arrived, it had the “regular” 120 m.p.h. speedometer, no tachometer, and the center console as you see in the following pictures.  It also had the “pistol-grip” shift lever, which assured that your hand would fly off the shifter and that you would miss a gear when trying to speed-shift (I SOON changed this to a Hurst shifter and T-Handle).


My ‘Cuda “evolved” quite a bit from the time I bought it.  I added an open air cleaner, chrome valve covers, opened the air scoops, installed a set of Doug’s headers, an Edelbrock Torker manifold with a Holley double-pump, double-feed 850 c.f.m. carburetor, a rev de-limiter module, Lakewood traction bars, Lakewood driveshaft safety loop, low-restriction 3 intake and outlet mufflers originally made for a turbocharged Corvair, Kendall GT-1 40W Racing Oil, Carter electric fuel pump and a Holley high-performance mechanical fuel pump, Accel Super Coil, Accel plug wires, distributor cap and plugs, an Accel chrome hi-output alternator, a Hurst T-handle shifter (short throw), Sun tachometer, oil pressure gauge, and a blaring White’s 8-track player and speakers.  Cosmetically, I added a chrome right-side mirror and the “340 decals to the rear fenders.  I also increased the tires to Multi-Mile N50-14 on the rear (on 10 wide rear rims (I don’t remember the rim manufacturer)), and G50-14 Multi-Miles on the front (mounted on the same type rims, but 8 ½” wide).  I also added driving lights and other “amenities” during my ownership.



Photo 1     Photo 2     Photo 3     Photo 4     Photo 5    
Photo 6     Photo 7     Photo 8     Photo 9     Photo 10


Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Reb Bar


The Van



My 1976 Ford Econoline Custom Van


Photo 1     Photo 2     Photo 3


Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Reb Bar


The Many Faces of a Vaiden Native

Photo 1 -- Photo 2 -- Photo 3 -- Photo 4

Photo 5 -- Photo 6 -- Photo 7 -- Photo 8

Photo 9 -- Photo 10 -- Photo 11 -- Photo 12

Photo 13 -- Photo 14 -- Photo 15 -- Photo 16

Photo 17Photo 18Photo 19Photo 20

Photo 21    Photo 22

Some of the Many Chicks in My Life

At 4 Months    

At 5 Months     At 2 Years Old

Baby Collage     Send in the Clowns     Elevated to a Lofty Position

They Gave Me The CHAIR     Right on the Borderline     Tootin’ My Own Horn

Elementary Diploma 1968     In the Mississippi Senate     King of the…Yard ?

Phi Alpha Certificate at USM     Dive Right In     Slidin’ Away     Chillin

Patio     Benched     Hair

4-H Trip to Sardis    

Phi Alpha Delta President (with Former Mississippi Governor William Winter)

Family Photo

The Epitome of Cool – Circa 1970-ish (Actually the date is more like 1972 or 1973. The shiny object behind me is the muffler of my

Honda CL-450 Scrambler, which I bought on 08/31/1971, and converted into a chopper a few years later – at which time, those mufflers were replaced).



The following images were scanned from old 35mm slides.  Some appear fuzzy or dark.  All depict GRAPHIC IMAGES of nothing but fun in Vaiden, Mississippi.  Hopefully I will be able to update these with clearer images at a later date.  NOTE:  The dates listed by the images are the dates that the slides were developed, and may be slightly different than the date the picture was taken.

Guarding the Fort – circa 1961     Battlestations – circa 1961

Buck the Cow & Ron – 1961     First Grade Classmates – 1961

First Grade Intellectual (Ron & Mrs. Prewitt) – 1961     Making the Grade – circa 1960

Under the Apple Tree – 1961     Snow Monster – 1962

Ron & Ricky Randle – 1961     Flea Bargain – 1961     Dog Tired – 1961/62

Dad (Alf Collins) leading Ron on Burro in Smoky Mountains (Ghost Town in the Sky) – 1963

Injun Ron Bagging the Game – 1962     Injun Ron on the Warpath – 1962

Peace Treaty – 1962     Vaiden Baptist Sunbeams – 1961/1962

Tom Evans & Ron – Date: n/a    

Grenada Lake Monsters (L to R: Trent Evans, Craig Evans, Ron Collins, Tom Evans) – 1966

The Mighty Treehouse – 1967     Fortress of Solitude – 1967

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary – 1967

Ghosts of Halloween Past – 1966 (L to R): Terry Ennis, Billy Ennis, Jack Fullilove, Chris Palmertree, Ron Collins & Unknown

I Want to Ride My Bicycle – 1966

I’m An American Band (Vaiden Band, Actually) – 1966

Last Gasp For the Sunday School Building – circa 1966

Don’t Take It Away (Sunday School Building) – circa 1966

The Screamin’ Honda 50 – 1969

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Reb Bar

No Room at the. . . Manger ?

(a.k.a. “The Eviction of Baby Jesus”)

Some things should neever be told.  Some things are just too funny not to be told.  My friends, Dennis, Bill, and Richard Welch loved to camp out when we were kids.  I did too.  Except this time I wasn’t invited.  This is once that I’m glad I wasn’t.

One year, shortly before Christmas, the aforementioned perpetrators decided to camp out.  The night was going to be cold.  Their mother, Bud, didn’t want them to go, but they persisted.  She told them they would freeze, but being certain that this wouldn’t happen, they went anyway.  Apparently, they decided too late in the evening to properly pack the things that we would normally take (such as a tent and proper protection from the cold).  After searching for a spot to camp and not wanting to admit defeat, and the mandatory “I told you so,” from Bud, they spotted the manger scene in front of the Vaiden Presbyterian Church, which was less than 100 yards from their house.  It was warm, due to the spotlights shining on the figures in the manger.  The next morning, passersby noticed the poor Baby Jesus sitting out in the grass, evicted from the manger, accompanied by Mary, Joseph and various other “critters.”  The manger appeared empty, until, upon closer inspection, it was found that the three wise men were “asleep in the hay.”

Jesus Wept.  John 11:35

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Reb Bar

The Kick Scooter

I wonder how many of us had a kick scooter like this one (see photos below) when we were younger?  I rode my scooter quite a bit, until I outgrew it, and might still have it somewhere amidst the ruins of my storeroom.  Photo 1 is of me and my scooter on Christmas Morning in 1960.  Photos 2 and 3 were found on the internet during a search for a similar scooter.  I think the scooters in Photo 3 and Photo 5 are more like the one I have / had.  I don’t remember the name of the manufacturer.

PHOTO 1     PHOTO 2     PHOTO 3     PHOTO 4     PHOTO 5


Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Reb Bar

The War of the Mighty Treehouse



Childhood Memories 1


Childhood Memories 2



 Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Reb Bar



Page II

Back Home Again . . .Page I




Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Reb Bar




Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: ratfink3

(Click on the Rat Fink to hear the Rat Fink song by the Misfits)



Site Design and Compilation Copyright © by Ron Collins. 2016.