Episcopal Church Viewed From East
Clements’ 150th Anniversary – 03/29/2009
Anniversary Church Bulletin
– August 2006
Courtesy of Mark Shands
Church Service – 10/29/2006
Photos Courtesy of
Courtesy of Dennis Welch
(Courtesy: Susie James)
(Courtesy: Susie James)
St. Clement's Episcopal Mission was organized in 1859. Plans were
made to build in 1860, but with the war, depression and Yellow Fever, it was
not until 1876 that the church was built. On November 8, 1876, Bishop William
M. Green made his first trip to the new church and six persons were
The membership of St. Clement's has never been over 50 and at the
present time only 12 members are on the church roll. Not only is it the
smallest church in Vaiden, it is the smallest active Episcopal Mission in Mississippi.
The Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians have always been helpful,
especially as choir volunteers. “If
all the tales are told, retell them, brother, and if few attend, let those
who listen feel.”
The building is brick of gothic architecture, the wall panelled with
curly pine. Memorial windows in the front east windows depict the Madonna and
Child episodes in the life of Christ. In 1911, the church was remodeled and a
brick tower added. One can say it is
not large but sufficiently elegant.
Regardless of its size, St. Clement's has hosted many Rites of Baptism, and has welcomed children, as well as adults, into its fold.
Two of the best known ministers to serve at St. Clement’s have been the
Rt. Reverend Girault M. Jones, retired Bishop of Louisiana, and Rev. Sterling
Gunn, father of Bishop George P. Gunn of Southern Virginia. Rev. Van W. Shields was rector when the
church opened its doors in 1876. Rev.
Gunn’s contributions are still remembered by older townspeople today and his
name is held in benediction by all residents who knew him, regardless of
During the centennial year 1976, St. Clement’s will be calling on
former ministers, W.P. Jones, M.L. Agnew and Jones Hamilton to assist with
the services. The presiding Bishop of
the Episcopal Church in America,
former Mississippi Bishop John M. Allin, preached at St. Clement’s on three
Ministers: Alexander F. Samuel, 1868; Benjamin Halstead, 1869-1872;
Stephen H. Green, 1873-1876; Van Winder Shields, 1876; James A. Matthews,
1877-1878; William W. DeHart, 1879-1880; Oliver Wilson, 1880-1881; William P.
Brown, 1882-1885; Henry A. Skinner, 1886-1887; James M. Magruder, 1888-1889;
William H. Phillips, 1889-1890; James B. Fitzpatrick, 1889-1901; E.S. Gunn
1902-1908; David T. Johnson, 1908-1911; Malcolm W. Lockhart, 1912-191?;
Edward McCrady, 1914-1915; E.A. DeMiller, 1915-1916; E.S. Gunn, 1916-191?;
George V. Harris, 1920-1922; John B. Caughey, 1923-1928; Girault Jones,
1928-1929; Jones S. Hamilton, 1929-1934; J. Ord Cresap, 1934-1935; Winfred P.
Jones, 1935-1940; Charles Liles, 1940-1951; Michael T. Engle, 1954-1955; Roy
C. Bascom, 1955-1958; Reynolds S. Cheney, 1961-1963; M.L. Agnew, 1967-1968;
Michael Bell, 1967-1968; Sam Monk, 1972-1975.
A complete history of St. Clement's Church has been
written by Mrs. Emily Barksdale Humphrey.
The following link is a complete transcription of Mrs. Humphrey’s
book. Used and posted on http://www.vaiden.net with permission on 05/07/2007 from Mr. Clarence
Pierce of St. Clement’s Episcopal Church.
CLICK HERE for the complete transcript.
May its Peace and Beauty Ever
Home Again . . .Page I
Site Design and Compilation
Copyright © by Ron Collins. 2007.