Source: Story: Kosciusko Attala History; Kosciusko-Attala Historical Society. Ch. 18, P 166. Mid-1970s.
Attala County Cemetery Map: Kosciusko Attala History; Kosciusko-Attala Historical Society. P 265. 1976.
No Exact Publication Date, Publishing Company or Other Information listed in Book.
Contributors listed on P. 171.
Map Coordinates are as Follows:
Springdale Populated Place McAdams 330626N 0894115W
Springdale Cemetery Cemetery -- McAdams 330609N 0894251W
Springdale Church Church McAdams 330624N 0894122W
Springdale Methodist Church (Historical) Church McAdams 330610N 0894249W
Springdale School (Historical) School McAdams 330625N 0894121W
The Farmers in the Dale
SPRINGDALE lies in a rolling hilly section which slopes to Apookta Creek, along which lies very good bottom land. To the West lies Possumneck, to the South is Pleasant Ridge, to the East was Center Point and to the North and Northeast for several miles lies a broken hilly, thinly settled section, which was definitely placed in any community. Springdale was so-named because of the several good springs in the area. Located some ten miles Northwest of Koscuisko.
A box type school was built here about 1868, being used for both education and salvation purposes. A public school was established about eleven miles from Kosciusko, moved a mile and rebuilt in 1898. This two-room school was used until 1920, when the school was moved another mile closer to Kosciusko on the public road. In 1928 the school was discontinued and the students were transferred to Kosciusko. Gallilee Public School for Negroes was located about two miles Northeast of Springdale Baptist Church in 1939. Mount Zion Negro Church and School was located on the West Road about six miles from the county seat.
Springdale Methodist Church was probably organized earlier than the Baptist, but both denominations worshipped in the school house for several years. When the Farmers Grange was organized in the community in 1874, the Grangers helped to build the Methodist Church, a two-story building with worship on the lower floor and Grange meetings on the upper. Captain Dave Love donated land for the church and cemetery, which lies just South of Highway 14 about two miles West of the present day Baptist Church, it lies behind the Dean home. The Methodist discontinued worship services prior to 1939 because there were not enough of their faith in the community to support a church. The Methodist Church was built off the main road and on a hill above the Baptist Church, which was on the road and in a flat.
Springdale Baptist Church was organized in 1868 at the location of the Springs at the old schoolhouse. Later a church house was built at the Springs; it burned in 1931. The schoolhouse was still being used as a Baptist Church in 1939, but since that time a new modern brick [structure] has been erected, along with a nice pastorium. Reverend Floyd Higginbotham is the present pastor [as of the date of this article].
Henry Musslewhite donated land in the Eastern part of the community for a Family Graveyard. It is well kept and has always been used by the other families in the Springdale Community.
Reverend Jimmie Scott, Primitive Baptist Minister and Pastor of Scott Creek Lebanon Church across Appokta Creek, lived near Springdale in the early days of the county and sold the land to Capt. Love. Henry Musslewhite had a small water mill in the early days of settlement. Zack Ratliff bought his land early from a Mr. Wingo who had lived there. A bridge, built before the Civil War of hand hewn white oak timber, was the only bridge in the section and was called Wingo Bridge.