From the Winona Times – 11/20/1931 – Thanksgiving Issue

 

A POPULAR Vaiden Business

In 1919, J. G. Fullilove opened a grocery store, in Vaiden. dealing In first class staple and fancy grocers.. Very sensibly be began a conservative plan, buying as he needed and doing most of the work himself with the help of his most efficient wife, who Is bookkeeper and helps up front in her spare time. Very soon Mr. Fullilove by close application to his work, and wise management built up a good business. His slogan has been. "hard’ work and personal supervision, courteous service and genial optimism." In a short time Mr. Fullilove saw that the walking delivery boy was too slow, so put in a delivery truck which has been an added attraction and service, to the public.

In 1930, Mr. Fullilove decided that his business had succeeded to the extent more adaptable quarters were needed. To meet this need, he purchased a nice building, electric lights, electric fans, a large commercial electric refrigerator, coffee mill and meat slicer, and other equipment. To keep down expenses and leaks he employs mostly members of his family. To one familiar with this store, It would not be complete without the smiling faces and courteous services of Mrs. Fullilove, the two daughters, Misses Edith and Mary Rae and Miss Lovie Wright. The three later served on Saturdays and in the afternoon after school hours. When a rush season makes additional help, necessary, one will find her ready to serve the public, the affably pleasant Ab Simpson and Jack Wright.                          

 

 A SHORT HISTORY OF VAIDEN, MISSISSIPPI

The Town of Vaiden had its beginning in the little town of Shongalo, one mile west of the present site, perhaps earlier than the organization of Carroll County in 1833.

In 1859, the I. C. Railroad was projected southward through Mississippi. It passed a mile east of Shongalo and through the vast holdings of Dr. C. M . Vaiden, a wealthy planter and pioneer settler of the community; and a railroad station was located on this land and given the name of Vaiden—a name borne by no other town or post office in the world. It was then that Shongalo Was abandoned and the merchants and pioneer settlers of that historic old community moved to Vaiden.            

Realizing the need of a place of worship for this new town Mrs. Mary Pleasants gave a lot and the Present Baptist church was built. For several years, all denominations worshiped in this historic old building, but later Dr. Vaiden gave lots for the school and three other churches, and buildings were soon erected. Many fine old families established homes here and the little railroad station grew into a real town.

The name of Weir, Herring, Hawkins, Fullilove, Sanderson, Kennedy, Kaigler, Avery, Bains, Armstead, McClurg, Cain, Armstrong, Bacon, McPherson, McConnico, Rosenthal, Somerville, and Haman are so interwoven into the history and tradition of Vaiden that no record would be complete without them. Many of the scions of these old families have gone out, into the world and carved names of distinction for themselves—a few of whom are the following; A. J. McConnico, U. S. Consul to England, James Somerville, III U. S. Commissioner of Commerce, England. Amos Armistead, a distinguished lawyer of Vicksburg, Judge Anderson of Vicksburg, J. M. Flowers, Ex-Ass’t Attorney General, Jackson. Dr. J. W. Barksdale of Jackson and the late Hon. Monroe McClurg, Ex- Attorney General, Miss Myrtle Archer, Supt. of Nurses, Baptist Hospital, Memphis; Miss Georgia Holmes, Supt. of Nurses, Methodist Hospital, Memphis, both of whom played a most important part in the establishment and growth of these noble institutions.

As the old Vaiden of the past was one of the progressive business communities of the state, so, too, that other Vaiden of today is maintaining all the aspirations, all the progressiveness that has marked the past. It has a fine consolidated high school which has state affiliation and is attended by children from a large neighboring section. Four churches, Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian and Baptist, which have grown in strength and Influence.

A bank which has stood the extreme test of the present financial crisis, and Vaiden Is one of the few towns in the state that can boast of no bank failures.

Some of the present outstanding industries are a Stave Factory which has a capacity of 125,000 staves per day; a Planer Mill, owned by S. J. Peeler, which planes 150,000 feet of lumber per day; a Milk Plant, owned by the Pet Milk Company, which is supplied with milk from 10,000 cows on progressive farms located within a radius of 10 miles; and other small enterprises such as cream stations, the marketing of cattle and hay and sweet potato curing plants.

Many other items of interest might be written about this historic old town, which at one time—perhaps a quarter of a century ago—boasted of saving more wealth for its population than any other town on the I. C. railroad between Jackson and Memphis; but we pause to offer an invitation to all honorable citizens seeking homes and those who would enjoy living In a high class, cultured community to come to Vaiden and assist us In making this the best little town in Mississippi.